He’s Putting the ‘King’ in Kingship: Meet the The Ooni of Ife (Video)
The recently coronated Ooni of Ife is wasting no time in his philanthropic efforts. He's employing the youth, supporting widows, sponsoring medical procedures for the poor and much more.
About four decades ago in the ancient city of Ile-Ife, Ooni Adeyeye was born into the Giesi Ruling House, Ojaja Royal Compound of Agbedegbede in Ile-Ife – the Cradle of the Yoruba worldwide. He was named Adeyeye Babatunde Enitan. Ooni Adeyeye Ogunwusi was quietly delivered into the humble family of Prince Ropo and Late Mrs. Margret Wuraola Ogunwusi (of Soji Opa family compound, Ile-Ife). His father was a radio and television anchor and presenter that spanned the entire mid-1980s to early 21st century in the Southwestern part of Nigeria. Though born quietly, Ooni Ogunwusi’s excellence and outstanding acumen recently announced itself for the world to behold as he was crowned the 51st Ooni of Ife on the 7th of December, 2015. Before his emergence as the Ooni, being an astute entrepreneur, driven by turning “impossibilities to possibilities”, Ooni Ogunwusi’s Power of Imagination has set him aside, revolutionizing the approach to creativity and innovation. His ambition is exceptional with savvy business ideas, above all, service to mankind and relentless contribution to humanity is what he is so passionate about and he has gone for it to the fullest over the last six months of being the Ooni of Ife.
Some of Ooni Ogunwusi’s Monumental Achievements in the last Six (6) Months since Ascending the Throne as OONIRISA:
- Commenced construction work at the multi-billion naira Ife Grand Resort, covering over 1000 acres of land in Ile-Ife, South-West Nigeria which engaged over 3,000 youths at the project site.
- Engaged about 200,000 youths for empowerment through agriculture to complement government efforts to further reduce crime rate and unemployment in our society. He has acquired 30 square miles of land in Ile-Ife for agricultural investments in cocoa, oil palm and rubber plantation which has a great potential for the diversification of Nigeria’s economy.
- He was appointed Chancellor of the University of Nigeria, Nsukka, by the President, Federal Republic of Nigeria.
- Empowered over 20,000 widows who are war victims and engaged them in palace and community sanitation with weekly benefits for their upkeeps.
- This bridge builder and advocate of peace has travelled to many parts of Nigeria, preaching unity and peace among traditional rulers and promoting youth empowerment to reduce crime rate and unemployment in the society.
- He has reached out to over 50 countries through their Ambassadors and country representatives in Nigeria, advocating global peace and promoting unity with focus on Africans and the entire black race.
- Multi-million naira reconstruction of the ancient palace of the Ooni of Ife known as Ile-Oodua.
- Donation of 100 Transformers (250KVA) to various communities to improve power/electricity supply in Ifeland.
- Because of his passion and commitment to the infrastructural development of his community, Ile-Ife, he provided an access road through the reconstruction of 10km road network at different locations within the community without Government intervention.
- A staunch lover of culture and tradition, he has taken it upon himself to reconstruct and renovate all the heritage spots that have been in existence for thousands of years for the entire world to have a pilgrimage destination, thereby promoting the cultural heritage and natural endowments of Ile-Ife through tourism.
- Donation of small scale equipment for manufacturing of vegetable oil, cassava flakes processing, block making machine, palm kernel equipment, technology incubation centers and so many others donated for youth empowerment in Ife.
- Provision of 7 units of 36 mass transit buses for easy cross country movements in Ife especially for thousands of students moving in and out of Ife.
- Arranging many youths into various cooperative groups for empowerment programmes.
- He is working closely with many agricultural research institutes over improved yields in order to encourage the youths to go back to the farmland. He has taken it upon himself to establish the largest cocoa nursery field in Nigeria to commence plantation of improved seedlings as Ife is known to be one of the largest cocoa-producing communities in Nigeria.
- Sponsorship of 20 indigent patients from across Nigeria for Open-Heart surgery through partnership with Obafemi Awolowo University Teaching Hospital Complex (OAUTHC), Ile-Ife, Osun State, Nigeria.
Prior to his ascension to the throne, Ooni Adeyeye was involved in:
- Engineering, Procurement and Construction (EPC) locally and abroad for over 13 years.
- Developed over 2,500 housing units with various consortia of developers over the last 8 years in Nigeria.
- He facilitated strong trade relationship through Association for International Business (AIB) with presence in over 200 member countries across the globe which he set up in Nigeria. One of the key achievements of this body is the trade facilitation between the United Arab Emirates (Jebel Ali free Trade Zone Development) and Federal Government of Nigeria through Nigerian Investment Promotion Commission (NIPC).
- He was a co-organizer for Ondo State Economic Planning and Implementation Committee. He led the Government delegation team to Canada in 2002 for strategic alliances and partnership with Ondo State Government on solid mineral potentials of the State (Bitumen, Dimension Stones, Granite, etc.) which led to the formation of Amalgamated Mining and Exploration Company Limited – wholly owned by Ondo State Government.
- Facilitation and development of Sparkwest Steel Galvanizing Plant (the only Steel Galvanizing Plant in Nigeria), National Iron Ore Mining Company Limited and Jakura Mines resuscitation projects, which have eventually become the major limestone feed stock to Obajana Cement Plant in Kogi State, Nigeria.
- He facilitated the biggest Lead and Aluminum recycling plant in Nigeria by National Steel Company of India, Ota in Ogun State, Nigeria.
- He Facilitated the Rice Farmers Association of Nigeria to discourage Nigerians reliance on importation of rice in 2004.
- He was the initiator of Essential Homes, a real estate product launched in January 2014, formed to deliver affordable upscale homes to the middle and low income earners. The 1st phase of the product (The Southpointe Estate, Lafiaji Road, Lekki, Lagos State) started in February 2014, and has been successfully delivered within 1 year.
- He developed the beautiful North Pointe Estate Phases I, II, III and Midland Court, on Chevron Drive, Lekki, and Jacob Mews Estate, Yaba, Lakeview Park I and II Estates, Lekki, the ongoing Golden Leaf Estate, Lafiaji, Lekki and Grand Lake Estate, Ajah, Lagos.
- As part of his commitment to provide good infrastructure in terms of access road and electricity for the Lafiaji community, he led the opening up and reconstruction of a 6.5km road, with a 1.1km green extension along the Lafiaji/Orchid Hotel road without Government intervention.
- He established the multi-billion Naira Inagbe Grand Resorts and Leisure, Lagos, Nigeria. The Resort is first of its kind in the whole of West Africa, bounded by the Lagoon and Atlantic Ocean.
- Director, Imperial Homes Mortgage Bank Limited (formerly GTHomes), a leading National Mortgage Bank and former subsidiary of one of the biggest banks in Africa, Guaranty Trust Bank (GTB).
- Director, FinaTrust Microfinance Bank Limited – one of Nigeria’s foremost Microfinance Banks focusing on SMEs and micro credit facilities.
- Founder and Managing Director of Gran Imperio Group, the holding company of Real Estate and Construction, Manufacturing, Facilities Management, Leisure and Tourism companies in Nigeria.
Academic Attainments and Membership of Professional Bodies:
Ooni Adeyeye Enitan Ogunwusi (Ojaja II) has attained the following academic and professional accomplishments, among others:
- Doctor of Public Administration, Honoris Causa, from the prestigious University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN), the only unifying ivory tower in Nigeria.
- Higher National Diploma in Accountancy from a reputable Institution in Nigeria.
- Member, Institute of Chartered Accountants of Nigeria (ICAN).
- Member, Institute of Directors (IoD) of Nigeria.
- Member, Global Real Estate Institute (GRI) – A global club of senior real estate investors, developers and lenders headquartered in Northwest London.
We have the honour in presenting to you an outstanding personality, the custodian of Yoruba culture and tradition, an internationally-acknowledged business icon, a man of immense substance, a great achiever and administrator par excellence, the reincarnation of Oduduwa and father of the Yoruba Nation and indeed, the Royal Eagle of our Time: His Imperial Majesty, Alayeluwa Oba (Dr.) Adeyeye Babatunde Enitan Ogunwusi (Ojaja II), the Ooni of Ife, the Arole of Oodua and the Paramount Head of all the Yoruba people worldwide.
Join us on June 10th to meet and honor this epic King. Buy Tickets.